It's my birthday today! I've decided to take a break from beauty blogging and share a wellbeing post instead; a letter to myself and anyone who chooses to read it.
Happy 30th birthday! Today marks thirty years of living, and while it may be sad to part with your twenties, it's exciting to think of all the new possibilities the new decade brings. While it's true you're sacrificing a little youth, you're gaining in wisdom, experience and maturity (hopefully, anyway). You may not be where you'd intended, but life is all about the journey, not the destination, so be flexible and allow yourself some leeway.
Here are several things you learned along the way, it might be best to keep them handy for when the going gets rough.
- It's normal to miss someone even when you no longer want them in your life. Missing someone acknowledges the richness they brought into your life, but people enter your life for a reason, and when that reason is over, it's best to let them go and move on (even if it hurts).
- You will NEVER be able to please everyone. It's easier to be true to yourself as you are the only person who'll ever have your own best interests at heart.
- It's been a year where you cut ties with many people, for many reasons. While it seems lonely at times, it's wiser to sever ties with those who drain you emotionally/mentally, and be at peace with yourself and the world. Friendship should be easy, not something to struggle with.
- It's okay to feel a little flat sometimes. Always remember that tomorrow is a new day which brings new possibilities, and leave your sadness behind and start afresh.
- There'll always be people who put you down to feel better about themselves, but it's far more satisfying to take the high road and know that you are the better person for it.
- It's also okay to occasionally doubt yourself, self-reflection is a good way of reassessing your goals and there's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance.
- It sometimes seems like life isn't progressing as you'd like, but considering yourself a failure belittles the successes you've had, without which, you wouldn't be who you are.
- Remember that the biggest satisfaction comes from doing things because you wanted to, not because you were expected to or because you felt you should.
- Comparing yourself to others might be impossible to avoid, but remember that everyone has their own journey and trials, and dawn always comes, no matter how dark the night seems (in other words, all things eventually come to an end).
- Above all, always try to be the best person you can be, for you need to be able to face yourself in the mirror and be at peace with who you are.
Here's to an amazing decade ahead, and may it surpass all expectations~!