Welcome to the latest post in my interview series, a little chat with the gorgeous Raylene Barton, owner of 1 Skin Solution! If you haven't heard of 1 Skin Solution before, Raylene makes the most gorgeous, natural bath and body products,including a lovely lip balm that is my current holy grail lip product (the only thing that helps my insanely dry lips, and comes in vanilla as well as a yummy mojito flavour). There are also tinted lip balms, body lotion, bath crystals and the most divine candles (a review will be forthcoming shortly)! Not only does she make the most gorgeous products, but she's also an amazing person I'm so proud to call a friend!
|Raylene from 1 Skin Solution.|
1) Hi Raylene, welcome to The Made Up Maiden and thank you for answering all my questions! Can you tell us a little about how you came up with the inspiration for starting your own business, and how you chose the products associated with 1Skin Solution?
Hello, and thank you so much for having me! I have actually been making my own products for years. It started when I was a Personal Trainer and one of my lovely clients gifted me a little pack from The Perfect Potion. It had a base cream and some essential oils so I could create my own scented body cream. I loved the idea and went into Perfect Potion to look around. I purchased a book called Do It Yourself Skincare and that’s how it all started. I was making skincare and soaps and selling them at markets and also giving them to friends. It was only a hobby, and I was not making any money (in fact, I was actually losing money), but that was not the point. Once I decided I wanted to make it my business, I started up the custom lip balms. It was a great way to generate income to finance my own skincare line. It is a slower process but very rewarding. That decision was made 2 years ago.
2) Where are your products manufactured?
All of my products are made here in Australia. I personally make all the lip products, candles and the Bath & Shower Crystals. I have a contract manufacturer who makes the other body products.
Keep reading after the jump!
3) Can you tell us a little about the inspiration and care that goes into making your products? How do you come up with the right blend of ingredients/formulas?
Hmmmmm, sleepless nights and a few tears are involved (laughs)! I spent a lot of time reading cosmetic chemistry and cosmetic recipe books, and I have taken cosmetic chemistry weekend workshops. Mostly, it is trial and error which is hard for someone who is impatient as I am. One thing this business is teaching me is to slow down and be patient!! Once an idea comes to me (usually when I am out jogging), I just do what I can to make it happen with the resources I have.
4) You have lip balms, tinted lip balms, and gorgeous bath and home products on sale. If you had to choose three favourite items from your range, what would they be?
I love the Bath & Shower Crystals. The minerals in the salts and magnesium crystals (Epsom) have such great healing properties. I feel really revived after bathing in them. I also really love the flavour and tint of the Strawberry Rose Champagne lip butter. Lastly, the vanilla lip balm; it is so healing and I never have flaky lips with this one.
5) Some of your lip balms have petroleum jelly, can you tell us a bit more about it? Petroleum jelly has been getting a bit of a bad rep in the beauty world lately!
Yes, this is always labelled as a “nasty” which is actually not true. As far as being bad for skin, that's actually a complete lie. The following was taken from my blog post about the subject and should answer your question:
The following facts on Petroleum are based on Science, meaning there is scientific evidence to back up these facts.
FACT: Cosmetic-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, Jan 2001, pg 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, Sept 200 pg 44-46)
FACT: Petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth.
FACT: Petroleum can help the skin’s outer layer recover from damage, reduce inflammation, and generally heal the skin (Source: Acta Dermato-Venero-logica, Nov-Dec 2000, pg 412-415)
FACT: The confusion around petroleum is also caused by some cosmetics companies and misinformed people who use the information about non-purified mineral oil as a scare tactic. This is considered “fear mongering” and “junk science”!
FACT: Mineral oil and petroleum jelly used in cosmetic formulas is highly refined and purified.
6) You have such gorgeous skin. Have you got any natural remedies/tips/tricks to share with us in the search for good skin?
I have not always had good skin. My good skin is due to a course of Roaccutane in my early 20s, and also Fractional Laser a few years ago. The maintenance though, is due to a good diet of super foods, raw veggies and moderate exercise. I say only moderate exercise because too much exercise can be aging due to the oxidisation of the cells. Relaxing salt baths always improve the vitality of my skin, as well as plenty of time in the Great Outdoors - hiking in the mountains and swimming in the ocean. 15 mins of unprotected sun exposure daily at around 9 am is also a winner!
Thank you so much, Raylene, for sitting down with us to share a little about your expertise and introduce us to your gorgeous products! Don't forget to have a browse on her website, shipping is free and some products (like the travel pack) come with a free vanilla lip balm (score!)!
Now for the part you've all been waiting for, the GIVEAWAY! Raylene has generously provided me with not one, not two, but THREE packs to giveaway to my readers! All you have to do is follow the Rafflecopter prompts (but please abide by the rules below).
Pack 1 is a travel pack containing a travel sized Lime Thyme Body Wash, Vanilla Bean Body Cream and Bath and Shower Crystals.
Pack 2 is a pack containing the Mojito lip balm and Vanilla lip balm.
Pack 3 is a pack containing all four tinted lip balms; Almond Biscotti, Coconut Plum, Guava Lemonade and Strawberry Rose Champagne.
|Clockwise from top left: Pack 1, Pack 2 and Pack 3.|
(images sourced from 1 Skin Solution website)
The rules of this giveaway are simple.
1) This giveaway is open INTERNATIONALLY.
2) You must be a GFC or Bloglovin' follower of my blog (specify in your comment as per rule 3 below).
3) You must leave a comment on why you'd like to win the pack you're after. I will allow you to comment up to three times (one for each pack, but only if you comment on separate days - no spamming, please).
4) Please also include your GFC name and email address with your comment so I can check that you've followed the rules and contact you if you win).
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. Winners have been notified so please check your email!
Pack 1 Karen C.
Pack 2 Irina D.
Pack 3 E-von L.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclaimer: Some links contains an affiliate code.