Happy Tuesday! Today, I'm bringing you a hot-off-the-press new release from BYS, the BYS Glitter Dust Kit! Now, as I've said many a time before (click here to check out my review of their magnetic polishes and here for the review on graffiti polishes), I absolutely adore BYS because they have some great products at very affordable prices, and this product is no different. I received Eat My Cosmic Dust (black) and Feeling the Spark-le (purple).
|New BYS Glitter Dust Kits.|
Each kit comes with three items; a little pot containing coloured glitter, a nail polish in a complementary shade and a little brush to dust off excess glitter.
|BYS Glitter Dust Kits.|
Eat My Cosmic Dust (left) and Feeling the Spark-le (right).
It's very straightforward, all you have to do is follow the steps outlined below!
1) Prep your nails with a good base coat, then paint them with a single coat of the colour included in your kit. This is the purple polish from the Feeling the Spark-le set.
|BYS Feeling The Spark-le.|
2) Once you've completed your first coat, lay your glitter pot on a flat surface. Working nail by nail, paint on the second coat and immediately press your nail into the pot (doing this while the polish is wet helps the glitter adhere to the polish). I find that a gentle 'rolling' motion works best!
|Press the wet polish into the glitter pot.|
3) Wait a few seconds, then gently brush off the excess glitter from your cuticles and your nail using the brush provided; try to sweep it back into the pot so you minimize glitter wastage, which also minimizes on the clean up (I'm all about multi-tasking)!
|Brush off the excess glitter.|
4) Working quickly, repeat Steps 2-3 for the remaining nails, and voila, you're done!
|Feeling The Spark-le (in sunlight).|
Eat My Cosmic Dust is also a gorgeous combination.
|BYS Eat My Cosmic Dust.|
|Blurred out to try and capture the sparkle.|
I thought it would be pretty to combine the two, so I thought I'd try an accent nail manicure. I applied the black glitter from Eat My Cosmic Dust over the purple polish from Feeling The Spark-le.
|Glitter accent nail manicure.|
Additional tips, tricks and information:
- The polishes that are provided with each kit are quite good quality. I love the purple polish (and would definitely wear it on its own), while the black is really opaque.
- You can actually get a similar effect by painting your nails with topcoat, and then pressing it into your glitter pot.
- The glitter pot is surprisingly soft! I was expecting chunky glitter particles but this really is a dust in terms of consistency.
- I would advise checking the mini brush before using it, there was a bit of shedding with mine and you wouldn't want to have stray hairs stuck along with your glitter!
- The end result is quite coarse in texture, which is quite unique. You can put topcoat over it but I find that it gives the manicure a rather matte, dull look, which isn't as pretty. It might protect your glitter a bit more though!
|Topcoat applied over the glitter.|
- The glitter was surprisingly easy to remove. If you're struggling, paint on a thick layer of polish over the top, grab some acetone polish remover, press for a few seconds and then gently wipe it off.
- You don't actually need to use a complementary shade underneath the glitter as it barely shows through, but it does look better if you mess up your glitter application.
- The BYS Glitter Dust kits are available in ten shades (black, pink, yellow, silver, white, purple, blue, dark blue, white-gold and green), and retail at $7.95. You can purchase them from BYS stockists like Kmart, discount stores or from Fashion Addict.
The overall effect, while not subtle, is gorgeous! I wish I could show you just how sparkly it is but my camera was struggling to capture it! I'm considering buying a few of the other shades, like Blizzard in Banff (white). Aren't the names adorable?
What do you think of these kits, lovelies? Love it, or leave it?
Note: This product was kindly provided for my consideration. This has not affected my opinion in any way. For more information, please refer to my Disclosure Policy.
P.S. - Don't forget to enter my Illamasqua giveaway! All you have to do is leave an interesting comment and you could win a pack worth $50! Click here to enter.